Tuesday, May 01, 2012

So, if my kitchen had an island...

 Normally I can't stand mid-century furniture, but I think with some black paint, and some granite tile on top...

 I'm wondering if I can fill in that huge circle spot...  Or maybe a really spiffy knob would help...

However, I think this would be good storage for the grill and the mixer and rice cooker (which makes pretty spiff cauliflower, by the way).



Any of these granite tiles would look good, I think, although the middle one is closest to our faux-granit countertops.

2 comments:

Harris Kern said...

Try using a de-glosser on the finish instead of hard sanding. Then you can paint with just a little touch up sanding to smooth out the finish. Hard sanding may cut through the venier (sp?) and ruin the surface.

I have used a finish of flat black paint, with two coats of wipe on satin varnish instead of just paint on things that will get some wear. The varnish holds up much better than plain paint. It ends up looking like the Pottery Barn factory finish.
If you want more shinny, use gloss varnish instead of satin.

Soldier Grrrl said...

Thanks! I'll see about that. A friend did mention a black stain, instead of a black paint so I might have to see which one looks better. :-)

I know I want a fair gloss on it, though.